Thursday, December 16, 2010

Studying God’s Word

16 December 2010

As I was preparing to read my daily Bible reading, as usual I was praying that the Lord would open my eyes to the message He would lay on my heart. A picture came to my mind. It was as though God’s word was a plate of food. Now I am not one to leave anything on my plate, I think most people do. I know kids will often leave vegetables, bread, or other items they are not fond of on their plate. How many times have we heard the story of starving kids in Africa, or the threat that there will be no desert until the plate is clean? Anyway, I thought of wasting the food on our plate and in that sense, how many times have I wasted the food on my spiritual plate? How many times have I brushed over some profound nourishment that God wanted to give me for that day? Maybe some of the stress I dealt with was due to lack of nourishment I had skipped over. As with our physical food that we skip because we may not like it, I have skipped spiritual nourishment because it was difficult, or hard to swallow, I had other things on my mind. Maybe I wanted to move on to something else. Whatever the case, I robbed myself of God’s blessing. My prayer today is that we would ask our heavenly Father to nourish us with His spiritual food as He nourishes our body with His physical food. I want to scrounge every single crumb that falls from the plate.


9 How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.
10 With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! 11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. 12 Blessed are You, O LORD! Teach me Your statutes. 13 With my lips I have declared all the judgments of Your mouth. 14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches. 15 I will meditate on Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways. 16 I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.
                                                                                      Psalm 119:9-16


.

No comments:

Post a Comment