Friday, December 17, 2010

Does our Testimony Honor God?

Does our Testimony Honor God or our self? When we share our testimony, do we tell about all the wonderful things we have done for the Lord? Do we tell it like God is blessed to have us on His side?

Or do we tell about how God reached down to us in our fallen state and redeemed us to Himself? Do we tell of how He rescued us from hell? How He provides us with food and shelter, and meets our every need?

28 The woman then left her waterpot, went her way into the city, and said to the men, 29 “Come, see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” 30 Then they went out of the city and came to Him.   –John 4: 28-30

24 So they again called the man who was blind, and said to him, “Give God the glory! We know that this Man is a sinner.”
25 He answered and said, “Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.”
26 Then they said to him again, “What did He do to you? How did He open your eyes?”
27 He answered them, “I told you already, and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become His disciples?”
28 Then they reviled him and said, “You are His disciple, but we are Moses’ disciples. 29 We know that God spoke to Moses; as for this fellow, we do not know where He is from.”
30 The man answered and said to them, “Why, this is a marvelous thing, that you do not know where He is from; yet He has opened my eyes! 31 Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him. 32 Since the world began it has been unheard of that anyone opened the eyes of one who was born blind. 33 If this Man were not from God, He could do nothing.”   -John 9:24-33
       
About fifteen years ago, the church I was attending decided to have members
give their testimony in the Sunday worship service. I think this was of interest to me because I didn’t have a great testimony. I had heard well known people give great testimonies of how God had done miraculous things in their lives.
I heard that a man at church was going to give his testimony. I was curious to know his story and anxiously awaited the event.
He started off by saying that he was not there to talk about all the things he was involved in at the church, but was there to talk about what the Lord had done in his life and the life of his family. He then began to name every duty, function, and office he held in the church. He told of how he had visited people and so forth.
He must have run out of time because he never got around to talking about what God had done in his life. When he stepped down, I had an empty feeling. I hate to say it, but I felt such disappointment. Unfortunately, every testimony I heard sounded more like a recap of life events than stories of God’s faithfulness, love, deliverance, etc. I do not repeat this to criticize, but to consider a question; if I felt this way, how do others feel when I give my testimony? Do they feel like they know my story but still know nothing of how God delivered me? Do they know about what I do for Him but nothing of how He has held me, loved me, forgiven me, and been my closest companion who never fails me? I am not worthy of man’s admiration, but I feel my testimony is, or should be, nothing less than what God has done for me and needs to be shared. He doesn’t need me, but I sure do need Him. He wants me! God wants me! The good news is, “He wants you too!”

No comments:

Post a Comment