Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christian but not Christlike Part 1

Christian
but not Christ-like

Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let
him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.
                                          Luke 9:23



What is a Christian?

According to Mirriam-Webster online:
Main Entry: 1Chris·tian Pronunciation: \ˈkris-chən, ˈkrish-\  Function: noun
Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & noun, from Greek christianos, from Christos
Date: 1526
1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b (1) : disciple 2 (2) : a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906 (3) : a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 1961
2 : the hero in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

The first use of the word “Christian” is found in Acts 11:26:  
And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

I have been told, the literal meaning is Christ-like. This would indicate the likeness to Christ and His teachings. My personal opinion is that the word Christian, is used today for anyone who professes belief in Christ (see M-W 1:a). Let me jump right to my argument; I believe in Joseph Stalin. Does that make me a communist? I believe in Adolf Hitler; does that make me a Nazi?
I pray that no one would think either of me based on my behavior. The point I am going to try to make is, just because we believe in Jesus Christ, does not make us a Christian. This is why many today have replaced calling themselves Christians, with calling themselves Christ-followers.
If I am drowning, and someone throws me a life preserver, will my belief in that preserver save me? Certainly not; But, if I take hold of the preserver and hang on to it, I will be saved from drowning. This is true of Christ. We must not only believe in Him, but we must “put on the Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans ) as Paul stated. What do I mean by this? Scripture supports the doctrine that to truly be a Christian, that is to be saved, we must be transformed into the likeness of Christ (Romans 12:2). Over and over again, scripture tells us if we continue to act according to the flesh, we are lost (Romans -32). But, if we are saved, we will show the same characteristics that are exhibited in Christ (Galatians ; Ephesians 5:9). So, now that we have established what a Christian is biblically, let’s look at the run of the mill Christian who sits on the church pew every week.





I Haven’t Missed A Sunday In Ages

What are some of the descriptions, or complaints from those outside the church, about those in the church? The number one word I hear is “Hypocrite.”
Take the phrase “I haven’t missed a Sunday in ages.” How do others perceive this? Me personally, I immediately think this is a statement of justification, or sanctification; the old “Holier than thou” mentality. As if never missing church services gives you brownie points with God. Many times, we fall into the “Pride” trap. We take great pleasure in our commitment to the church. There are two fundamental problems here. First, “WE” are the church. The church is made up of the body of believers. The building is where we meet. Second, our “commitment” should be to God!
If your neighbors were polled, what would they say about you? Would they talk about how friendly you are? How you helped them fix their car? Loaned them tools? Mowed their yard while their mower was broken? Got their mail while they were away? Brought soup when they were sick?
Acted as a positive role model for the kid whose dad was gone? Offered to baby sit so the parents could have a night out? What about that card when there was a death in the family? How about a visit just to talk and listen to that elderly gentleman who has no family?
Or would they say things like, I don’t really know them; they keep to themselves. We don’t get along. They argue a lot. They yell at my kids. We haven’t spoken since they thought I took their trash can. They park their car in front of my driveway. They told me I am going to hell. They told me “to go to hell.” They accused my son of smoking pot. They said my church is wrong.

If a Mormon, Jehovah’s Witness, inter-racial couple, Mexican, homeless person, adulterer, or homosexual walk into our service on Sunday morning, how do we respond? Do we invite them to sit with us? Do we move if they sit on our pew? Do we invite them to leave? Do we ignore them? Do we make them feel welcome? Do we stare at them?

I have seen so many deplorable things done within the church. I will name a few here.
My mother and brother, who has downs syndrome, were asked not to come back.     
My brother was kicked off a church bus because he smoked (he was about 15).
My youth pastor told my friends what I had told him in confidence.
Another youth pastor asked my friends and me not to come back. We didn’t fit in.
Gossip: too much to elaborate.
While helping with an English as a Second Language class, I received countless Mexican jokes and emails about how Mexicans were ruining this country.
While visiting a new church, upon returning to my seat, I was handed my coat and Bible (left on the pew). Apparently I was in their pew. They never said a word, just smiled and handed me my Bible and coat.

If a person had accepted the Lord, say at a Billy Graham Crusade, and had never been to church before, and they witnessed any one of these things on their first visit, would they come back?
If that neighbor whose kid you thought was smoking pot and maybe had taken your trashcan walked in your church and saw you, would they stay, or walk out? When you are driving to church on Sunday morning and you see people mowing their grass, does it bother you that they may go to hell when they die? Is Christianity about being a part of a group where you “belong” and feel good about yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment