Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reverence

“I can never again see a United States Marine without experiencing a feeling of reverence.” Gen. Johnson, U. S. Army

Being a Marine (not for some time, but once a Marine, always a Marine) I felt a sence of pride well up in me when I read this. I felt proud; but then I thought, reverence belongs to God.

As I do often, I will look to see what Mr. Webster has to say.

Definition of REVERENCE

1: honor or respect felt or shown : deference; especially : profound adoring awed respect
2: a gesture of respect (as a bow)
3: the state of being revered
4: one held in reverence —used as a title for a clergyman

I guess I most often hear and use this word in regard to things pertaining to God. According to the definition, there is no harm in using it outside that context.
What I would like to do now is use it in regard to God and/or things pertaining to God.

Do we reverence God?

Do you now, or have you ever used God’s name in vain (as a profanity)? Do you cringe when someone around you does? Do you turn off a movie or TV program if someone does?

Remember that command from the Ten Commandments that says “Do not take the Lord’s name in vain?”
The rest of verse 7 from Exodus chapter 20 says:  
for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

I tend to think God was serious about this. Now, for the lost, does it matter? If a person rejects Christ and is going to hell it might not make much difference. But, for a believer, I think it matters much. There are some who would say if you take the Lord’s name in vain you are obviously not saved. I will not argue that now.
What I want to do instead is issue the warning God Himself issued:
“for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.”

Friend, please consider this. If we truly reverence God, how can we take His Holy Name in vain? If this has not occurred to you, I beg you to consider this and pray about it. God loves you and sent His Son, the Lord Jesus, to die for your sins.
Is it not out of love and reverence that we are offended by the careless blasphemy of His name?

Of course there are many other ways we show a lack of reverence. Jesus said if we truly love Him, we will keep His commands. If we really love and reference Him, we will refrain from those things that displease Him.

I urge you to pray and ask Him to search your heart for that which keeps you apart from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment