Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In All Things...


7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Are we willing to praise God in weakness? In persecution? In infirmities?
To what degree are we willing to go to please God?

I do not intend to say that God wants to watch us wiggle under the weight of affliction. But how do we see God in such afflictions? Do we see Him as a tyrant bent on hurting us; or do we see Him as a loving Father molding us into His likeness?

I like to put things in terms easy to understand or identify with. If I may, I should like to do that here. Think back to one of the many post-Superbowl speeches. Have you ever heard the MVP say something like “I’m glad this season is over. The coach set unrealistic goals for us and tried to kill us. He had us killing ourselves in the heat of summer, and freezing in the dead of winter. Now that I have proven to the world how great I am, maybe another team who will appreciate me will buy my contract and treat me the way I deserve to be treated.”

I can’t ever remember that sort of speech; however, I have heard many statements such as “Coach pushed us hard and we had to over come injuries and obstacles; but coach refused to let us quit. He kept pushing us to be better; to fight through the pain. Thanks to God, Coach, the fans, my family; without you all, we wouldn’t be here today.” Why would anyone praise someone for making them suffer? or, family for not trying to stop it?

Anyone who has done weight training, or physical therapy knows to get stronger/better, you have to push through the pain, and any other obstacle. I remember well when I was in boot camp our Drill Instructors saying “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” I’m not sure how true that is, but I would agree to some extent.

If we appreciate those who push us to achieve great heights in this life, why are we not willing to praise God who pushes us to achieve far greater heights?  
Coaches don’t just pick random people off the street to push. They scrutinize hundreds of people and pick those they see potential in. It is an honor to be chosen and subsequently pushed hard. The same is true of God. If He is squeezing you, it is because He wants to use you and can see potential in you. 

I urge you today to get on your knees and thank Him for loving you and pushing you upward. There is no greater honor!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment