Monday, June 27, 2011

If...

If we put any terms to our commitment to receive, and/or follow Christ, is it a true conversion?

Examples:
“If you heal my kid, I will give my life to you and do whatever you ask!”

“If you give me a spouse…”

“If you give me this job…”

“If you give me wealth I will do thus and such…”

Is this Biblical?

I think the problem many of us face is a sense of entitlement; I deserve…
We live in a society that says if I do this, you must do that. Isn’t this how business is done today? Even governments use this method. I guess people have been using it since the days of Adam and Eve. 

Does God respond to such a proposition?

To be honest, I don’t know the intent of man’s heart; God does! I think God might use certain trials to lead to conviction and bring repentance, but I do not believe He even listens to the “if you give me…”  proposals. These are based on self; not our fallen, sinful state and/or Christ’s redemptive work. I do not mean to be cruel or judgmental, but I have to be honest. If we put terms other than what God says in His word, to our proposal, does that honor Him? Is that what He is looking for?    

What does Scripture say about receiving Christ?

Let’s look at some passages and see if we see a pattern.

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.  -Matthew 16:24,25

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. –Romans 10:10

Now if we are afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effective for enduring the same sufferings which we also suffer. Or if we are comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. -2 Corinthians 1:6

For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. -2 Corinthians 7:10

I could go on but I think this is enough to establish what God is looking for. He wants our love and a heart that says “not my will, but Yours.”

What He does promise is peace, hope, joy, and salvation. He gave His all for us, should we not do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment