Saturday, May 21, 2011

Caller ID

When my sister calls me on her cell phone, her husbands name shows up on my caller ID.
His name appears, but I know it is probably her. His name appears because the phone contract is in his name.
If you were at my house and the phone rang, you would look at the screen and say “who is Mike?” If you answered, you would hear a voice and you might think “that is not Mike.”

We, as Christians, are somewhat like that. When we walk up to someone, be it a friend, family member, or an acquaintance, they see us, they hear our voice, they know it is us; but who’s spiritual voice do they hear?

Do they hear God’s voice through us? Does God use us as His mouthpiece?
Are we the audible voice of God? 

I know there are some who would say I am wrong about all this; that’s fine. There is no law that says anyone has to agree with me. But please consider what I am saying and judge for yourself.
I believe our Lord speaks to us through His word, His Spirit, and through others.
Many times, when God speaks through us, we don’t even realize it. When we offer a kind word to a co-worker we don’t usually talk to, when we stop to help a stranger with a flat tire, if we put our arm around a grieving person and see the look of comfort by our simple gesture, is that not God’s Spirit working and speaking through us? There are times I have said something to someone and then thought “why in the world did I say that?” only to see in time it was God who had placed it in my heart to say it.

Most of us would have to admit there are people we love to see because their words always (or almost always) lift our spirit. They can say things that just make our hearts rejoice. Many times their words can bring conviction, especially if we are engaging in sinful behavior. Regardless of the message, we have a sense of joy in their presence.
No person has the power to do that. I believe that is God’s words/actions manifested in that person. This is not to say everything that comes out of their mouth is from God.

As we grow in Christ, we become more like Him; thus, more and more of what we say and do will reflect His image. If He dwells within us, how can His light not shine through us? But there are those times our words or deeds don’t just reflect His likeness, they must come from Him directly because they surpass our knowledge and/or nature.   

If I called you today, even though you see my name and hear my voice, might you say “I heard the Lord speak to me through your words?” I hope so.


20 Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21 make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
–Hebrews 13:20-21


9 But as it is written:
      “ Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man
      The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”
 10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. -1 Corinthians 2:9-13

No comments:

Post a Comment