Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why do people leave the church? Part III

They have been deeply hurt by people they trust.

Many people within the church will get their feelings hurt with other members. It may even be a family member who is well respected in the church body. We are so hurt, we can’t get over it. We may even look at everyone as hypocrites. Anything that is said is taken as a personal attack. We no longer experience the joy of the Lord within the presence of our church family. Many times we may even criticize and attack the body every chance we are given.  

I myself recall many painful experiences from my youth. I won’t divulge the details at this time but I want to make something perfectly clear, there are many ravenous wolves within the church. Just because a person acts like they are devoted to God and hold prominence within the church does not make them a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car. Jesus himself warned of those who would offend. 

The Pharisee’s and other religious teachers hated Jesus, but where was He each sabbath? He was in the temple or a synagogue. In short, this is what I get from the scriptures; Jesus set the example He wanted us to follow. He went to the temple, synagogue, and the streets. Wherever there were people who needed to hear the gospel, whether they received Him or not, He was there. The apostles followed His lead and did the same. They encouraged every believer to join with other believers to experience cohesion[a] and support as well as to meet the needs of the widow, orphan, and the poor.

I can’t help but think of the Chinese church; under such persecution, yet they are thriving. They risk their very lives to be a part of the body of Christ. I wish we could have more of these Chinese Christians come and share what life is like for them. I wonder how many of us would argue with them that we can’t find a good church. Could we persuade them that being a part of the body is not needed?
Every new visitor could turn them in to the authorities, but yet they thrive. Why?
Because they can’t help but share the gospel and bring lost souls into the body so that they too might be fed the truth of God’s word and find support among fellow believers.    

19 Again, do you think that we excuse ourselves to you? We speak before God in Christ. But we do all things, beloved, for your edification. 20 For I fear lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I wish, and that I shall be found by you such as you do not wish; lest there be contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, backbitings, whisperings, conceits, tumults; 21 lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and I shall mourn for many who have sinned before and have not repented of the uncleanness, fornication, and lewdness which they have practiced. -II Cor.12:19-21

Paul addressed many times the problems within the early church, but no where in all of scripture does it say we are excused from being a part of the body. Obviously there are those who cannot attend in person, but as stated before, there is a way we can all be connected.

Friend, if it is at all possible, make every effort to join with other believers this Sunday. Pray that the Lord would guide you to the place He wants you. I can assure you He will answer your prayer. May He heal your broken heart, and give you His peace, His joy, His grace, and His love.  


[a]  Cohesion: 1.  joining or working together: the state or condition of joining or working together to form a united whole, or the tendency to do this. 
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment