Sunday, July 10, 2011

Thankfulness continued...

One day when I was in the Marines I sat down to eat my lunch in the chow hall.  As was my custom, I began to criticize everything I thought was wrong with the meal. A good friend and brother in Christ, was sitting across from me. He sat quietly for awhile and then casually asked if I had said a blessing over my food.
I proudly reported “yes” I had. He then asked me a question I have never forgotten; he asked me how I could ask God to bless something and then complain about what God had blessed?

That was over twenty years ago and I still think often of his question.
I try to apply it to all things, not just food. If we pray for a rebellious child, are we in disbelief when they begin to show an interest in church, the Bible, or God?
What about that sinful neighbor? Do we pray for them and then talk bad about them to others? If they start going to church, do we doubt their sincerity?

If we ask God to do something or bless something, how should we behave after?
Should we not give thanks continually?


   26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” 27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.” 30 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. –Matthew 26:26-30

Can you imagine what it took for Jesus to be able to do this, knowing what was about to happen a few short hours away? And then sing hyms?

If Jesus could give thanks knowing what lay before Him, and continue to act in absolute obedience, what is it for me to be thankful in all things? There is absolutely “NOTHING” I can face that I should not, and cannot give thanks for.
It is merely a reflection of what is in my heart.

I pray that each of us would consider this and pray about it. If we grumble over a meal that is not up to our standards, maybe God will let us miss a few so that we will understand why we should be grateful. Maybe if we feel a lack of His presence, we will be thankful when we do feel His presence. Maybe then, when we feel slighted because we don’t get our way, we will remember and give heartfelt thanks because it is in our heart!

1 comment:

  1. wow! this was dead on! and I loved the example you chose, from your own past. needed to read these words today, as I have definitely been complaining about some things, not only in my heart, but out loud, too. grace and peace

    ReplyDelete