Friday, July 22, 2011

"Let's Get Physical"

Do you remember that song by Olivia Newton John?
I think it came out in the late 70’s or very early 80’s. I remember seeing the women wearing the leotards, and leg warmers (looked like oversized, droopy socks to me), and they wore bandanas on their heads. When they weren’t bouncing in this attire, they had mall hair, complete with about five pounds of hairspray. I shutter to think what would have happened if they had gotten close to an open flame.

That really started the “Physically Fit” mentality and it continues to this day.
Every week there is a new diet, a new list of “you shouldn’t eat,” a new fitness routine, or some other new thing that will make you healthier and happier.
In this “physically fit” society in which we live, it is hard to realize we are seeing obesity at an all time high. My personal opinion is that a thousand and twelve channels on TV, video games, working in offices/cubicles and on computers plays a major role in this. I’m not saying these things are bad, but they replaced playing football outside, skate boards and roller skates, working in the fields, and all the other things we use to enjoy before we had so many “indoor” activity choices.

I remember the older relatives when I was a boy, I think everything they ate was fried; Fried chicken, fried fish, fried steak, fried eggs, french fries, etc, and three large meals a day. The shocker: none of them were obese!
I believe that was because they worked it off. I also believe it was normal to have gall bladder problems by age forty, but most lived into their eighties; and were healthy.

Back to my original topic; “Physical Fitness.” How should we view the exercise of our bodies? What is the scriptural advice?


6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed. 7 But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness. 8 For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come. 9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance. 10 For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe. 11 These things command and teach.


According to Paul, “spiritual fitness” trumps “physical fitness.” How we train our mind in the things of God have eternal value.
I am not condemning working out or staying fit; that is not my objective. What I would like to point out is that being “Spiritually Fit” is much more important.
Good “Spiritual Fitness” will last beyond this life. What good is being physically fit if you develop cancer at age twenty five? Your physical condition may help you survive a little longer, but ultimately death may follow; It will at some point. My next question is hard but I must ask it; will you enjoy a physically fit body in hell?
NO! You won’t enjoy anything in hell.

One last thing I want to point out in closing; just before the passage about good “spiritual fitness,” what does Paul have to say?


 1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. -1 Timothy 4:1-5

Some may disagree with me here, but Paul says we are not to reject what God has given. I am not saying Paul is talking all together about what I am saying, but we need to look for God’s truth in every word of this passage. I do believe in taking care of the body, it is the temple of the Lord; but at the same time, I reject all the latest fad diets. If we seek first “Spiritual Fitness,” we can enjoy other things the world says are bad. 

People today tell us meat is bad for us, milk is bad, eggs are bad and so on;
I disagree. I don’t eat chicken, eggs, or drink much milk myself, but that is because I don’t like them. I do have a problem with raw fish (sushi). But what God has called good, I will not call bad; and what God calls bad, I will not call good.

Friend, if you are a fitness enthusiast that is fine; but don’t let that cause you to stumble. Don’t let your zeal for being healthy come before your worship and honoring God.     

No comments:

Post a Comment