Monday, February 15, 2021

Broken...

 

Mirriam-Webster’s dictionary has multiple definitions and applications for the word “broken.” I will list a few here:

 “Violently separated into parts: shattered;”“damaged or altered by or as if by breaking;” "made weak or infirm;” “subdued completely: crushed, sorrowful;” "cut off: disconnected;" “not complete or full;” “disunited by divorce, separation, or desertion of one parent.”                                                                   -Mirriam-Webster.com/dictionary/broken

While each of these, if applied with the given example, mean different things, in quite different applications, I think they all sum up nicely how many of us feel.  

Judging by many songs of late, it seems brokenness is more common today. You Broke Me by Maria Mena, Broken by lovelytheband, Broken by Anson Seabra, as well as many others, describe brokenness in one way or another. When listening to these songs, you can’t help but feel a sense of pain. I realize some artists play songs they didn’t write but you sense some emotional pain nonetheless.   

Many years ago, a band named Radiohead had a huge hit called Creep. I won’t go into detail but the lead singer wrote it describing a period of his life and how he saw himself. To say the least, the name tells you it was not very good and dare I say, he was broken. For years, the band refused to play it at concerts but eventually begin to appreciate its value and begin playing it again.                                  

One song that really carries great meaning for me and speaks to my heart is Matthew West’s, Truth Be Told. He describes how he tells people he is fine when in reality he is torn up inside or broken. In one part of the song, he writes:

 

There’s a sign on the door saying “come as you are” but I doubt it. If we lived like it was true, every Sunday morning pew would be crowded. But didn’t you say the church should look more like a hospital? A safe place for the sick, the sinner, and the scarred, and the prodigals, like me. Truth be told, the truth is rarely told, am I the only one who says… I say, “I’m fine, yeah I’m fine oh I’m fine, hey I’m fine” but I’m not, I’m broken. And when it’s out of control I say it’s under control but it’s not, and you know it. I don’t know why it’s so hard to admit it, when being honest is the only way to fix it. There’s no failure, no fall, there’s no sin you don’t know already know. So let the truth be told.

 

I suspect many can relate to these lyrics; I know I can. How many of us have had to muster up the courage to walk through the church doors looking for healing only to be shunned?

Week after week, pastors stand in the pulpit and talk about those who don’t come to church. Have they ever taken an honest look at why so many don’t come? Do they really even care?

How many times do you stick your hand out when you only get bitten?

Business can cause one to justify shunning others, but I think in reality, it boils down more to a lack of empathy, caring, and love. Are we not called to love one another? Jesus said the two greatest commands were to love God and love our fellow man (Mat. 22:34-40).

So how are we doing?

Only Jesus Christ can heal the brokenness. But I am not willing to give a pass to those who use this as a cop-out. Did He not say that we are to love one another? Did He not also say that we are to visit the sick, the poor, the incarcerated, etc? (Mat. 25:31-46). Some of the most hateful and uncaring people are well respected members of the church. Jesus constantly used the Scribes, Pharisees, and others in His examples of the worst kind of sinner, boastful, proud, uncaring, and unrepentant. The people He seemed to speak positively about were those whose sins were great, but they admitted their sin and fell on their faces and turned from their sins.

In his book, Be Amazed: Restoring an Attitude of Wonder and Worship, Warren Wiersbe writes, “Wordly and ignorant spiritual leaders produce worldly and ignorant people, and this brings destruction to the land.” He continues, “As goes spiritual leadership, so goes the church, so goes morality; and as goes morality, so goes the nation. God’s people are both salt and light in society (Mat. 5:13-16); when they are corrupt, society becomes corrupt” (pg. 31).

If you are hurting friend, do not despise the church or, more importantly, God. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest…” (Mat. 11:27-30, NKJV). Jesus loves you so much, He knows the number of hairs on your head. He loves you so much, He walked away from His heavenly throne where He was seated next to the Father and came to earth, not as a king in a palace, but as a servant, lowly and poor. Then He went to the cross to pay for your sins and mine. He didn’t have too, He chose too.

I know many in the church have caused great harm, but they don’t represent Jesus. They are wolves in sheep’s clothing (Acts 20:25-31).

I urge you to seek out a good, bible believing church and who knows, maybe you will be that friend you were looking for to someone else who walks through the doors that is hurting.

May our Lord give you His peace, His strength, and His joy~


.

1 comment:

  1. Truth Be Told https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XsZi9QT6a8

    The Story Behind Truth Be Told https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oohWbTCxrA

    ReplyDelete