Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"Not My Fault"


Pilate said to them, “What then shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” They all said to him, “Let Him be crucified!” Then the governor said, “Why, what evil has He done?” But they cried out all the more, saying, “Let Him be crucified!”

When Pilate saw that he could not prevail at all, but rather that a tumult was rising, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, “I am innocent of the blood of this just Person. You see to it. –Matthew 27:22-24

What a horrid scene. Here is a group of religious leaders demanding the blood of a righteous and innocent man; and inciting the crowd to follow in their wickedness. Is this not a picture of absolute hatred and evil? Can the human heart be any more wicked?

Next we have a judge who knows what they are doing; but despite this, he gives in to the crowd. He knows that he is condemning a righteous man; I think deep down, he believes Jesus is God. Foolishly, he gives in to spare himself and his political career and thinks he can wash away his own guilt in a bowl of water; poor, pathetic soul.

Here we have two examples of the worst of man; hatred for God and corruption of justice. Both sides supposed they could get by with it; both sides were wrong.

There is an old hymn that is still sung in a few churches today that sums it up.  

1.      What can wash away my sin? 
        Nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
        What can make me whole again? 
        Nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
Refrain:
        O precious is the flow 
        that makes me white as snow; 
        no other fount I know; 
        nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
 
2.      For my pardon this I see: 
        nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
        For my cleansing this my plea: 
        nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
        (Refrain) 
 
3.      Nothing can for sin atone: 
        nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
        Naught of good that I have done: 
        nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
        (Refrain) 
 
4.      This is all my hope and peace: 
        nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
        This is all my righteousness: 
        nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
        (Refrain) 
 
Text and music by Robert Lowery (www.hymnsite.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment